Auto-discovery of Postgres table resources

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 14:03:40 UTC 2014

Hi Jay,

Le 08/04/2014 15:17, Jay Shaughnessy a écrit :
> I think I agree.  It would be a lot of manual import if you did in fact
> want to see them but I think you're right, it's likely a select few
> tables that are of interest.  If you did end up doing autodiscovery then

Right. For example in RHQ database, you'll probably want to monitor the
rhq_resource table, not rhq_tagging_res_group_map. (FTR, RHQ database
has a total of 160 tables).

> I'd suggest that availability be disabled by default (let them defer to
> the parent DB avail) and all metrics are disabled as well.

Auto-discovery is already implemented, I'd like to remove it.
Availability used to be deferred to parent, but yesterday I pushed a
change to check table existence.

> The whole topic of selective autodiscovery is interesting.  A more
> general mechanism for turning on/off types to be discovered is an
> interesting idea.  In that way a plugin could deploy with minimal types
> discovered and then the admin could enable things as needed.

Agreed. I know we already discussed this but I'm not really satisfied
with the "Ignore resource" solution. So far, I see two possibilities:

1. Very quick and dirty: add some properties in resource plugin config
to narrow down auto-discovery results. For example, we could add a
"tablesDiscoveryPattern" property in the database resource type, which
we would read in the table resource discovery component.

2. Introduce a new Facet "DiscoveryFilter" or similar.