Bug 1011095 - Give created resources the name supplied by the user even if the managed object has no "name" attribute

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 13:48:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-24 at 12:27 +0200, Thomas Segismont wrote:
> Le 23/09/2013 18:01, Larry O'Leary a écrit :
> >
> > Why can't the created resource be added to inventory if the create
> > request is successful and then allow discovery to merge the discovered
> > resource and the user created resource? This will prevent the need for
> > the cache.
>
> Resources are no longer added to the inventory at the end of the create
> resource process since commit 93a54da (9/10/08 - "Don't initially create
> the resource, as the merge from autodiscovery will not update changed
> pluginConfigs. JBNADM-3451")

It is this part that I think should be changed. It is understandable
that we don't want discovery to update pluginConfig by default. However,
updating should be supported for any missing configuration. In other
words, any configuration that was not provided by the user in the
creation wizard.

I don't think one should continue to put bandages on things. Instead, a
proper fix should be implemented or a plan to fix such issues in a more
meaningful way. This is a good example of such. Is there a reason we
don't feel that the user should be able to provide configuration and
have it retained?
--
Larry O'Leary <loleary at redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc.