4.9 Install Changes

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Fri Sep 6 21:07:47 UTC 2013

Devels,

There is a recent commit that applies some security-related changes
we've been asked to apply.  In particular, you will now see changes in
rhq-server.properties instructing you to set two new properties prior to
installation.

Note that when building -Pdev your dev container will have already had
these values set, as in the past, so there is no required action.  But
for non-dev-container installs they will need to be set.  The two
properties are:

   jboss.bind.address
   rhq.server.management.password

jboss.bind.address is no longer set automatically to 0.0.0.0.  It must
now be explicitly set, as desired.  It can be set to 0.0.0.0 to simply
maintain the previous behavior.

rhq.server.management.password holds an obfuscated value for the RHQ
Server's 'rhqadmin' management user.  It must be set to a valid
management user password.  It can be easily set to the previous default
by uncommenting the line in rhq-server.properties.

*** Currently the previous default must be used ***

This is due to the fact that we don't yet have a password generator in
place for this value.  The algorithm is different than for the
obfuscation used for the db and storage node passwords, because it is AS
generated.  When set to a non-default value the discovered rhq-server
resource will not be able to connect, as it uses the default value.  So,
non-default values will also need to be applied to rhq-server resource
connection properties to get the plugin to connect to the server.

Upgrades do not need to worry about setting these, the upgrade will take
care of it.

I'll update you as soon as we have a mechanism for generating the
management user password values.

Jay