Bug 957689 - Unable to complete tasks when server is shutdown

Larry O'Leary loleary at redhat.com
Wed Jun 26 11:16:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-26 at 13:05 +0200, Thomas Segismont wrote:
> Le 26/06/2013 12:54, Larry O'Leary a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2013-06-26 at 12:22 +0200, Thomas Segismont wrote:
> >> I forgot to say that the DeploymentUnitProcessor classes are only
> >> activated at boot time. So after installing RHQ you will need to restart
> >> the server.
> >>
> >> Do you think that deserves a message in the server installer?
> >
> > Seems that asking a user to "restart" the server as part of the install
> > is a bad idea. It doesn't make sense from a usability perspective. If we
> > can't implement this any other way then the question becomes, should the
> > installer only install and not start anything? Therefore the action of
> > starting the server becomes part of the post-install process.
> >
> >  From my perspective, I would prefer a better/different solution that
> > allowed the server to start as part of the install process without the
> > user having to do it separately.
> >

> We need the server to be up during the installation process. The
> installer communicates with the management interface to install our
> queues, EAR, ... etc.

Right. This part makes sense.

> We could look at the server log and catch the "server started" message
> then restart the server.
>
> What do you think?

If there isn't an alternative way to load the classes post-boot then a
"restart in the background" approach seems ideal. However, monitoring
the server log probably isn't very stable. Considering that logging
configuration may change or log message refactoring/internationalization
may result in a break in the future.

Perhaps more input/discussion is needed to come up with a better
approach.
--
Larry O'Leary
https://plus.google.com/u/0/112645929986009801513