About Github migration

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 09:47:24 UTC 2012

Hey Charles,

Am 24.09.2012 um 18:32 schrieb Charles Crouch:

> So does this allow someone to do plugin development just by checking out https://github.com/pilhuhn/rhq-plugins ?
> That should be a goal right?

Exactly.  Which requires the user to have the dependencies either in the local repository or
to download them from central.
This has an interesting implication, that we need to publish the artifacts to maven, which happens
for non-snapshot ones. So the dependencies of the plugins (mostly modules/core/ stuff) need to be published as
non-snapshots.

> If these two repo's can be developed separately, then do we need to consider changes to our versioning schemes? i.e. decouple the versions of the plugins from the version of the plugin container, plugin api etc which comes from https://github.com/pilhuhn/rhq ?

Yes, this is what I mean. We need to be more strict with the dependencies and not have plugins depend on -SNAPSHOT
versions anymore (as they will never be available from central).

> I presume this wouldn't impact older (i.e. before the split) branches/tags that got brought across to https://github.com/pilhuhn/rhq say, you would still be able to do a regular maven build and build everything on those older branches/tags?

First I would expect that they would still be available as-is from fedorahosted.

Having said that: if we do not remove the plugins from the main project, as I have done it, but just rm -r && git rm them, then they
will be available in older revisions as they should be, so I guess the answer to your question is yes.

  Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn