deploying ear from within extension subsystem

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 22:02:13 UTC 2012

I have written code (currently in AS7 branch under enterprise/server/startup-subsystem module) that packages up the RHQ main EAR in a AS7 extension subsystem module. We could deploy this in our own /modules directory and when we start the AS7, the following CLI commands will "install" the EAR in any running AS7 instance:

jboss-cli.sh --connect --command='/:add-namespace(namespace=rhqstartup,uri=urn:org.rhq:startup:1.0)'
jboss-cli.sh --connect --command='/extension=org.rhq.rhq-enterprise-server-startup-subsystem/:add(module=org.rhq.rhq-enterprise-server-startup-subsystem)'
jboss-cli.sh --connect --command='/subsystem=rhq-startup:add()'

We could potentially do this from within our rhq-server.sh/.bat if we know the ear is not yet installed.

NOTE: this does nothing wrt configuring AS7 for RHQ (we still need to add datasources, security modules, jms queues and the like - we'd also need to setup the DB schema). But this shows that we can deploy the ear outside of the deployments/ directory (thus not using the deployment scanner) which also means we can support being patchable using the upcoming patch feature of AS7.