supporting proxies in front of RHQ

Andreas Dietrich adi at aspicon.de
Tue Jul 24 07:08:06 UTC 2012

Ideally (as it is working currently for us using RHQ 4.1) it should NOT
be redirected to the real host:port URL (only) but be reverse proxied so
we stay on the host:port alias "rhq".

Our main advantages are:
- links are short and easy to remember/generate
- links are independent from the "physical" RHQ server host:port
- load balancing/failover can be hidden behind those links
- RHQ server unavailability can be dealt with on the Apache side (we
could easily set up a maintenance page or whatever to be delivered to
the client if the Apache is still running)

user browser:
- typing "http://rhq" redirects (RHQ Apache) to
"http://rhq/coregui/#Dashboards" (not to
http://myrhqhost:7080/coregui/#Dashboards)

underneeth:
- setup DNS alias rhq to myrhqhost
- setup Apache HTTP reverse proxy on myrhqhost: "http://rhq(.*)$" <=>
"http://myrhqhost:7080$1"

the load balancing/failover stuff Apache config that David mentioned is
also in the pipe