RHQ Java Client libraries question

Steven North swn at ocsystems.com
Sat Sep 10 00:31:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

We currently have a separate tool that connects to the RHQ server to get
resource information and snapshots.  We use the RHQ Java Client
"interface" and bind our Java tool with the RHQ Java Client libraries.
That was working fine while we developed on RHQ 4.0 and 4.0.1, but now
that we are testing against an RHQ 4.1 server we can't seem to connect
with the 4.0 client libraries.  The documentation clearly warns us that
we should use matching versions of the client libraries.  ;-)

We are trying to plot our course forward in terms of how we build
versions of our tool.  One way is to build different versions of our
tool with different sets of libraries.  Or we could try to include both
(or all) sets of libraries and choose the right one (somehow).  Or we
can require users to point us to the right set of libraries.  All those
options seem to have pitfalls.

Would it be better for us to switch to the Webservices interface?  Would
that give us better immunity to version changes?  Or are there the same
issues?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Steve