JMX notifications from MC4J/EMS

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Fri May 13 09:08:55 UTC 2011

Hei Elias,

> So I'm considering adding support for JMX notifications in RHQ.

Great!

> 1. For each EmsBean.getNotifications() (returns set of interface
> EmsNotification).
> 2. Determine if we should listen or not to its notifications (through
> configuration? always?) Not sure how to indicate in XML this detail.

The Events subsystem supports the notion of even sources, that the user can
enable in the UI. A resource can have multiple event sources. So this could
be somehow be taken to determine the notifications to listen to.

So I guess there are two choices here to be made:

- which object names to listen to? A resource in RHQ could encompass
multiple MBeans
- which notification filters to apply

For the very generic case of one MBean only, the object name would be the
one of the Mbean and the filter could be delivered from the UI in the EventSource

See also org.rhq.core.domain.event.EventSource

I think you are on the right track.

  Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn