Modularization of plugins

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Fri May 13 04:52:04 UTC 2011

Actually, I think a stronger argument can be made that it is less
practical not to put plugins into a separate repo. RHQ is a really big
project, and building it take a considerable amount of time even with a
hefty multi-core machine that has lots of RAM. There is a very clear
separation between plugins and other parts of RHQ; so, the initial
effort would not be very involved. There are some things to consider
though. Plugins could be released on a separate schedule which brings
version compatibility into the fold. This would result in additional
maintenance, but I think the pros far outweigh the cons. I think a
separate release schedule for plugins is/could be a good thing. I also
think it could help spur community involvement. We might consider a
plugins sandbox for things that are more experimental. Plugins could be
promoted from the sandbox into the main plugins repo. I think that this
model has worked really well with Apache Commons.

- John