REST Api (was Re: Custom UI? )

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 15:12:50 UTC 2011

> So I ended up in creating some POJOs in org.rhq.core.domain.rest [1]. This also solves the issue about number
> of callbacks, as they are more coarse grained than some of the usual domain objects ("welcome back DTO" :-)

Make sure those DTOs do not leak into our core domain model, stays
completely isolated within the rest webapp, and core RHQ developers
don't have to worry about them.

If DTOs enter into our core domain model or otherwise require us to
essentially maintain a duplicate set of POJOs, it gets a veto from me :)

We spent an ENORMOUS amount of time and effort specifically avoiding
going down that DTO route and to maintain a single set of domain objects
(this was especially true when we switched to GWT - we did a lot of
thinking, designing, implementing around this just so we could avoid the
"duplication" of work required when introducing DTOs).

If RE is prohibiting us from doing that, we either a) need to get
something else other than RE or b) we need to do the same amount of deep
thinking and designing to get it to support a non-DTO solution like we
did for GWT.