Need clarification of workflow for content sources/repositories/packages

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 21:44:18 UTC 2011

some wiki pages that are related:

http://rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/Content
http://rhq-project.org/display/RHQ/Design-Content
http://rhq-project.org/display/RHQ/Design+-+Content+Synchronization

Those last two are design pages, and may not reflect reality 100%.

Synchronizing a repo is not related to subscriptions. So you don't even
need to subscribe resources to a repository (or what was called a
channel in the past, I can't remember the verbage that was settled on, I
think channel was renamed "repository" and content source is the same)

All that does is it synchronizes the content found in your remote system
(like a webserver, or git repo, or filesystem) to the RHQ repository.

A plugin on the agent can auto-detect packages (what are called
InstallPackages) and the RHQ Server will log them so you can have a
record of what the resource has. They are not placed in any repository
that I am aware of (the last time this stuff was touched, I was not
involved in it, and the people that were involved I do no think are
actively working on the project anymore).

 > How do I know if I have configured
 > things properly so that deployment will happen at the scheduled time
 > (assuming it will)?

We do not automatically push out content to resources, you have to
manual push them out. I think you have a misunderstanding of what this
feature does.

Perhaps you are thinking about the Bundle Provisoning subsystem (which
is loosely related to the repo/package stuff):

http://rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/Provisioning

But that, too, does not perform any automatic scheduling of bundle
deployments. We actually do have code started down that path, but right
now, there is no scheduling of bundles for automatic deployment in the
future.