Need clarification of workflow for content sources/repositories/packages

Steven North swn at ocsystems.com
Wed Jul 6 21:21:19 UTC 2011

I am trying to understand the workflow surrounding content sources,
repositories, resources, and packages.

I have files of type .xyz that are my content.  I think those are called
packages in RHQ.   I have an agent that discovers the deployed .xyz
packages for a given resource.  Now I want to define the steps necessary
to deploy new versions of the .xyz packages to the appropriate resources.

I have defined a content source pointing to a directory with .xyz
files.  I have defined a content repository and associated the content
source with it.  I have subscribed the appropriate platform resource to
the repository.  I have clicked on Synchronize at various times during
this process, but I never see any packages in the repository.

Am I missing a step somewhere?   How do I know if I have configured
things properly so that deployment will happen at the scheduled time
(assuming it will)?

Is there a way to force a manual deployment?  (I did see that I can go
to a resource and "pull" the package to it from the Content->New->Upload
New Package button.)

What is the normal workflow for deploying new package content?  Do you
really go around to each destination resource/group and pull packages?

Thanks in advance,

Steve