RHQ in Japanese

Charles Crouch ccrouch at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 16:11:01 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> That's a really good question.
>
> While I am not sure about the specific issues that Minamoto-San is
> encountering in translating RHQ into Japanese .... perhaps the
> question could be broken down into the issues of internationalization
> and localization.
>
> A good link on the topic:
> http://www.objectsource.com/j2eechapters/Ch19-I18N_and_L10N.htm
>
> First the application needs to be internationalized ... and this means
> enabling the application to run in different languages and regions.
> Internationalization involves things like moving strings to
> ResourceBundles. And then comes the process of Localization ... text,
> and number formats, and images, etc... in the specific locales that
> are supported.
>
> I am curious to know if Minamoto-san's issues are more issues with the
> internationalization of the RHQ application ... or specifically the
> localization of RHQ into Japanese.
>
> Also ... there may be an opportunity for some QA/testing activities to
> identify some of these issues.
>
> There is some cost associated with 18n/l10n ...development ...testing
> ... but also potential opportunity. I'd like to learn more about what
> RHQ currently supports in this regard ... Is there a document or link
> on RHQ's i18n/l10n plans?

The RHQ gwt based web ui should be fully i18n'd, if its not its a bug.
This does not however mean everything you see in the UI is i18n'd:
-JSF pages won't be i18n'd
-Data retrieved from the RHQ agent plugins is not i18n'd, though if you look at the rhq-project wiki you should be able to find design pages on how to do this.

There is no expectations around there being a completely l8n for any particular language.