Dynamic Types

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Fri Oct 22 15:54:09 UTC 2010

Am 22.10.2010 um 17:13 schrieb Greg Hinkle:
> Yup, best way to implement a feature like this. I'd like to volunteer to try the dynamic JMX version of this.

That would be awesome.
Another thing that desperately needs this is SNMP(get) to get information from network devices.

> Right. That's exactly what I had in mind... but the idea of it being a concrete instance of an abstract type would still give the plugin developer the ability to remove them in a plugin upgrade. (If the abstract type is deleted from a plugin, it's concrete instances are deleted as well)

Yes, interesting. This would also allow to predefine some metrics / operations / ... on that abstract type that would apply to all instances no matter
what concrete subtype would be discovered.

> We'd also need flags for what types the admin has accepted and what types he's customized right? I think the types need to go through the sync process back to the server before discovery on them can run (as they may need to be merged with other instantiations of the same type or user customized versions)

I did not have customization on the radar so far They are sent to the server and added to the agents inventory. The current version implies that
all agents have the same plugins + detect the same custom types. That may actually be wrong - so I wonder if actually the agent name should
be added to the type name if a 2nd instance of a found type from a different agent returns different metadata for it.

  Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Otto-Hahn-Strasse 20, 85609 Dornach bei München
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München HRB 153243