Dynamic Types

Greg Hinkle greghinkle at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 15:13:16 UTC 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Am 21.10.2010 um 22:55 schrieb Greg Hinkle:
>
>> Ok, So as Mazz is mentioning there's a few more things that are needed to finish this:
>
> Yes. Alex'w work was not meant as a finished 'product', but really as a proof of concept that dynamic types are possible
> with the concrete implementation of his Nagios Plugin

Yup, best way to implement a feature like this. I'd like to volunteer to try the dynamic JMX version of this.

>> * Don't throw away "dynamic" types on plugin updates (this has implications... perhaps dynamic types should be like concrete implementations of an abstract type from the static metadata)
>
> Or we add a flag to them, so that they do not get implicitly deleted

Right. That's exactly what I had in mind... but the idea of it being a concrete instance of an abstract type would still give the plugin developer the ability to remove them in a plugin upgrade. (If the abstract type is deleted from a plugin, it's concrete instances are deleted as well)

We'd also need flags for what types the admin has accepted and what types he's customized right? I think the types need to go through the sync process back to the server before discovery on them can run (as they may need to be merged with other instantiations of the same type or user customized versions)