Dynamic Types

Greg Hinkle greghinkle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 20:55:08 UTC 2010

Ok, So as Mazz is mentioning there's a few more things that are needed to finish this:

* Don't throw away "dynamic" types on plugin updates (this has implications... perhaps dynamic types should be like concrete implementations of an abstract type from the static metadata)

* Not sure if Types are being discovered on the server or agent, but they need to be able to be merged if happening from multiple places

* Need to be sync'ed down to the agents (when plugins are updated AND whenever the dynamic type is updated)

* Persisted on the agent so it can operate against the dynamic type data

Furthermore, what about "user edits" to this data. We originally conceived of scenarios where the admin would be able to select the MBeans he wanted to import and then be able to customize things like metric names, descriptions and which pieces would get exposed into the type system. This would call for another layer of change management to ensure user edits aren't overwritten by the type discovery mechanism.

-Greg