Status of Perspectives now and with GWT ?

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Mon Jun 7 14:40:01 UTC 2010

Initially the core menu was rewritten with perspectives, deployed with
the core perspective.  And initially it did not generate the slowdown
seen later.  I'm not sure what caused that slowdown, something external
to perspectives. Maybe a JSF version change or some or some sort of
configuration change.

Anyway, the core perspective is still deployed and, I think, is still
being used to generate the active resource tabs.  I'm not sure if that
too was reverted to be non-perspective.  If not then it is theoretically
possible for people to generate custom tabs in the 2.4 release.  But,
this has not been tested and therefore not currently supported.  Also,
this means that the core perspective can not be taken out of the build.

Fundamentally perspectives define and, at runtime, make available the ui
extensions active for the user's session.  I don't think GWT will
prevent the use of perspectives, it may actually make it easier as it
should be able to more easily generate Java code to manipulate the
dynamic gui definition.

The gwt-based RHQ GUI will have a new look and feel so we'll have to
revisit what the "core menu" may actually be, and possible revise the
perspective definition likewise. Similarly, we'll want to ensure that
perspective extensions are properly defined for what ever equates to the
tab, subtab structure in the new gui.

But, I think the concept of perspectives, and quite a bit of the current
implementation, will be useful in the next gen gui and I hope to see it
included.

Jay