Things I dont know how to do with plugins

John Holland jholland at vizuri.com
Wed Jan 27 21:55:42 UTC 2010

Hello,
I'm posing this question here as I think this list will have the most
knowledgeable people about RHQ. This is a bit of an end user question
though.

We're looking at using RHQ/JON to monitor VMs. I have set up a template
for VMs that has jboss EAP 5.0 and rhq-agent. What I'm running into is
that it takes a long time for a up/down status change on the Jboss to
register with the JON server. I'm shutting down JBOSS and just waiting
for JON to get the news. in the agent.log I see  this which seems to be
the moment the news is sent from the agent:
2010-01-27 16:36:07,365 INFO  [InventoryManager.availability-1]
(rhq.core.pc.inventory.InventoryManager)- Sending availability report to
Server...

I believe this was five or ten minutes after I shut down the Jboss, the
log file is a little hard to go through but that's about what it seems.
I was watching the reload timer on the resource page in JON waiting for
it to finally realize the resource was unavailable.

Is there a configuration I can do on the agent or server to make it
react faster to time outs?

I have tried to do it with the agent-configuration.xml in the agent/conf
directory but it doesn't seem to have made it any faster.

TIA

John Holland