RfC: put jruby-complete jar into server/default/lib ?

Joseph Marques jmarques at redhat.com
Mon Jan 25 00:54:33 UTC 2010

On 01/24/2010 09:03 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This question is triggered by classloading issues with my alert-scriptlang plugin
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/rhq/rht.git?p=rhq/rhq.git;a=commit;h=1b985787ba92bdcf497fedfcf494a76d67571edd
>
> The plugin would use the jruby-complete-1.4.jar. When I put the jar into jbossas/server/default/lib/ , the plugin
> works, when it is loaded with the plugin, it doesn't.
>
> Before I spend much time debugging this:
>
> How do people feel if we'd include the jruby jar into the server by default and thus allow more code
> on the server (e.g. in server plugins) be written in Ruby?
>
>    Heiko

If we want to promote the community writing their own plugins for
things, then we need to make sure the process "just works" for them.
Packaging libraries in plugins seems like a very common task, so if we
(the platform developers) can't do it, do we reasonably expect them
(plugin writers in the community) to do it?  We need to figure out why
packaging the library in your plugin is not working.