RFC: Next release number

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 16:09:41 UTC 2009

On 12/15/2009 11:06 AM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Any comments / issue with the next build being
>
> 3.0.0.1
> 3.0.0 Build 1?
>
> We can drop the B notation, and add a GA when we need to. This should
> alleviate any isues with Jopr / RHQ numbering conflicts.

One problem we still have is the fact that we no longer have a true
"Build Number" in our build artifacts (and this is important when it
comes to the agent auto-update feature).

We used to use the svn revision number and we used the maven plugin that
helped stamp svn revision #s in our build artifacts.

Now that we are git, we need something else. SHAs are not monotonically
increasing, so I don't know if we use them. Perhaps we just have a maven
property that we manually increment in the root pom.xml (like we do for
the db upgrade version in the dbutils pom).

Right now, we always have a build number of "0" which is not what we want.