First Plugin: Discovery

Ian Springer ian.springer at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 23:47:14 UTC 2009

Bryan-

--Ian

On 12/14/2009 5:55 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Writing a plugin for the fist time.. I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) When new software is installed, how does the version information get
> updated? Do you have to re-run discovery on regular intervals?

Yep, discovery reports the current version. Discovery does run
periodically - once per hour for server scans and once per day for
service scans. For a Resource that is already committed into Server
inventory, if the version has changed from its previous value, the
plugin container notifies the Server that the version has changed for
that Resource.
> 2) It looks like much of the code is using process-scan tags in the xml.
> I assume this is a feature to look for running instances which can be
> accessed via context.getAutoDiscoveredProcesses()

Correct.
> 3) Given that 2 is my assumption, is this a best practice? It seems like
> you would want to discover non-running servers as well.

Discovery components are free to discover off-line servers if it's
possible. In some cases, it's not really possible. For example, it's
impossible to find all the configuration directories that are used to
start JBossAS instances from a particular JBossAS installation just by
inspecting the contents of the AS home dir.

Resources have the option to support manual add, which allows users to
add undiscoverable Resources to inventory via the GUI. This is ideal for
adding off-line Resources when the plugin doesn't support discovering them.
> 4) What is the best practice with the new Raw config stuff is a server
> has more than one config file? Does that matter at all in creating the
> classes behind the plugin?

I'll leave this one for the raw config guys to answer definitively, but
I think the server component would just expose all of the files via raw
config subsystem, rather than just one.