LMI terms unveiled

Russell Doty rdoty at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 14:33:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 14:55 +0800, MaShimiao wrote:
> Hi, Michal
> On 02/17/2014 09:10 PM, Michal Minář wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed there is some confusion about the meaning of some terms
> > used throughout documentation, code and in discussions going on this
> > list. It would be great if we could understand them the same
> > way for what they really are.
> >
> > Here is the list of terms with *my* understanding of what they mean.
> > Please take it as a request for comment. Try to write your own
> > definitions that describe particular item the best. Add new items
> > if you want. In the end I'd like to settle down on final non-formal
> > definitions that we could cut and paste somewhere in our documentation.
> >
> > I've tried to be as concise as possible with 2 sentences at max.
> >
> > Profile
> >   Either a DMTF profile or derived/inspired profile defining its
> > requirements, targets of management and several CIM classes,
> > qualifiers and instances based on cim-schema with precisely defined
> > semantics.
> >
> > Provider
> >   Shared library or python package instrumenting several CIM classes
> > belonging to particular profiles. It is loaded by a broker which talks
> > to it over cmpi.
> Although it is said "Agents also called Providers" on the web, Agent seems
> different from Provider.
> After reading code, I find one Agent contains several different Providers.
> I'm not sure whether I'm right or not.
> And can you make a term describe what agent is?
> I'm a little confused about the relationship between agent and provider.
This is my fault.

The general industry term for management software installed on a managed
system is "agent". "Provider" is how DMTF/CIM refers to the management
software installed on managed systems. In an effort to explain OpenLMI
using common industry terminology, I have tended to use agent and
Provider interchangeably.

Don't worry about the details of packaging, just think of agent and
Provider as the same thing. If you need precision, use the term Provider
when talking about OpenLMI.

Russ