LMI terms unveiled

MaShimiao mashimiao.fnst at cn.fujitsu.com
Tue Feb 18 06:55:35 UTC 2014

Hi, Michal
On 02/17/2014 09:10 PM, Michal Minář wrote:

> I've noticed there is some confusion about the meaning of some terms
> used throughout documentation, code and in discussions going on this
> list. It would be great if we could understand them the same
> way for what they really are.
>
> Here is the list of terms with *my* understanding of what they mean.
> Please take it as a request for comment. Try to write your own
> definitions that describe particular item the best. Add new items
> if you want. In the end I'd like to settle down on final non-formal
> definitions that we could cut and paste somewhere in our documentation.
>
> I've tried to be as concise as possible with 2 sentences at max.
>
> Profile
>   Either a DMTF profile or derived/inspired profile defining its
> requirements, targets of management and several CIM classes,
> qualifiers and instances based on cim-schema with precisely defined
> semantics.
>
> Provider
>   Shared library or python package instrumenting several CIM classes
> belonging to particular profiles. It is loaded by a broker which talks
> to it over cmpi.
Although it is said "Agents also called Providers" on the web, Agent seems
different from Provider.
After reading code, I find one Agent contains several different Providers.
I'm not sure whether I'm right or not.
And can you make a term describe what agent is?
I'm a little confused about the relationship between agent and provider.

Best Regards,