query regarding Nas head profile.

Radek Novacek rnovacek at redhat.com
Thu Sep 26 11:56:02 UTC 2013

On Thu 26 of Sep 2013 1:24:00 sunil kumar wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> Is Nas Network Ports profile already implemented?

We do not implement NAS Network Ports profile.

> if yes. we are running nfs server process, but couldn't find nfs server
> process instance in CIM_ProtocolEndPoint, CIM_NetworkPort.
>
> we are getting confusion in development of NAS Head. Before we develop a
> Nas Head we need to implement an association between LMI_ProtocolEndpoint
> provider and LMI_NetworkPortprovider, Is this already defined.

Yes, there is LMI_NetworkDeviceSAPImplementation class in the networking
provider that defines association between subclasses of CIM_EthernetPort and
LMI_LANEndpoint. But it's ok in CIM to have more subclasses of the same base
class with different behavior.

I don't think that managing network file systems belongs to the networking
provider, rather to storage or even better to separate provider (it can go to
openlmi-providers -- we would be glad to accept your contribution).

You need to subclass CIM_DeviceSAPImplementation class in your provider (with
different name than LMI_NetworkDeviceSAPImplementation) and instances of this
class will represent associations between NetworkPort and ProtocolEndpoint
representing the NFS share.

> Whether we
> need to continue the development of openlmi-network in c or python.

If you want to develop your own provider, you're free to choose C or Python.
But beware of potential performance issues when using python. For contribution
to openlmi-networking, C is required. openlmi-storage is currently written in
Python but it might get rewritten to C one day.

> we have
> all .c source code in git source. whether python scripts are their in
> openlmi-networking also, if their. where is it present?

All the python code in openlmi-networking is test-related if that's what
you're asking about.

> we have different
> teams of development of networking and storage. how do we start proceeding?

Let us know if we can provide you further assistance.

Radek Novacek