A provider for publishing Management Controller (Service Processor) information

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Wed Oct 30 12:03:57 UTC 2013

* Russell Doty <rdoty at redhat.com> [Oct 24. 2013 16:50]:

> > The leaf class for example iDRAC_ManagementController will inherit
> > OOB_ManagementController, extract the related IP Address with the
> > right IPMI command and publish this information.
> >

> > Does anyone have any inputs on the model we are considering?
> >
> Excellent idea. I assume that the initial implementation will be
> targeting iDRAC. Would it make sense to structure the Provider to
> discover and report on a general BMC?

Yes. Intel has a similar technology, called Active Management. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology.

Just like iDRAC, this also 'speaks' WS-Management.

> This would seem to involve
> reporting:
> * BMC manufacturer, make, model, revision, and firmware level.
> * BMC IP address
+ IP Port
> * BMC URL
> * And, of course, "No BMC found"...
>
> What other information would be useful to know about a BMC?

Information about the protocol to interface with the BMC. I.e.
'WS-Management' for iDrac. Plus the protocol version.

Klaus
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany