A provider for publishing Management Controller (Service Processor) information

Russell Doty rdoty at redhat.com
Thu Oct 24 14:50:24 UTC 2013

Now that we have clarified that this isn't actually Dell confidential:

On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 13:59 -0500, Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com wrote:
> Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
>
> We want to somehow publish the Management Controller (BMC)
> information, so that the user can query the same and get the details.
> A CIM provider will be a good solution to publish this information. We
> are primarily looking for a provider which publishes the “IP Address”
> and the “URL” for accessing  of the Management Controller (BMC).
>
> I had some offline discussions with Klaus and we are considering
> OOB_ManagementController class inheriting CIM_ManagementController.
> This OOB_ManagementController class will have the common properties
> like Network Address, Protocols supported etc.
>
> The leaf class for example iDRAC_ManagementController will inherit
> OOB_ManagementController, extract the related IP Address with the
> right IPMI command and publish this information.
>

> Does anyone have any inputs on the model we are considering?

Excellent idea. I assume that the initial implementation will be
targeting iDRAC. Would it make sense to structure the Provider to
discover and report on a general BMC? This would seem to involve
reporting:
* BMC manufacturer, make, model, revision, and firmware level.
* BMC IP address
* BMC URL
* And, of course, "No BMC found"...

What other information would be useful to know about a BMC?

Do we want to have a specific class for iDRAC or to have a general BMC
class that reports it found an iDRAC?

Do we want to do this as a standalone or as part of a larger class such
as Physical System View.