Further introduction

Tomáš Smetana tsmetana at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 15:10:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:07:36 +0530
Devchandra L Meetei <dlmeetei at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Tomáš Smetana <tsmetana at redhat.com> wrote:

<...>

> Thanks Tomas for sharing the Cockpit. Looking at the source briefly, it
> seems that it initiated recently by RedHat.
> and Good to know that RedHat is investing in system management.
>
> As a side note,  yet to be released pegasus 2.14 will start having support
> for REST ful API(CIM-RS) phase by phase
> and we have put some effort to turn pegasus to serve html pages like a
> webserver does. Pegasus will be able to accept/yield
> JSON for any CIM instance in the repository, which can be consumed for GUI.

We know about it and that is actually one of the approaches we would like to
explore: Cockpit relies heavily on JavaScript running on the client (browser)
so the REST API is definitely something that might make the Cockpit
integration more "natural".  At least... I hope so.

Right now all the CIM infrastructure would be in many ways parallel to the
native D-Bus/JSON ssh-tunnelled Cockpit protocol:

https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/blob/master/doc/cockpit-transport.png

The REST API might be more flexible and allow more interesting things to be
developed. (I can imagine custom UI modules, etc.)

Regards,
--
Tomáš Smetana
Platform Engineering, Red Hat