Patch review for OpenLMI

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 20:35:57 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 07:31 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Tue 12 Mar 2013 04:11:03 AM EDT, Jan Safranek wrote:
>> On 03/11/2013 07:47 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> I'm inclined to suggest that we take the following approach:
>>> Patches are sent to the openlmi-devel list as attachments. If
>>> another developer reviews it and replies with "Ack", it can be
>>>  pushed immediately.
>
>> I'd rather wait for the review tool to be online, it may have
>> different workflow than sending patches to -devel and IMHO we
>> should avoid changing the workflow just in few days.
>

> I agree. I'll try to get back to focusing on this as soon as the
> Fedora Alpha Freeze chaos is over.

As promised, I have made a Review Board instance available at
https://reviewboard-openlmi.rhcloud.com/dashboard/

I haven't tied it to FAS yet (that's going to wait until we have
OpenID support added to Review Board in the next few months; I have an
intern working on adding that feature). I enabled self-registration on
the server, so anyone can create a (nonprivileged) account. There's a
bug I haven't figured out yet where it's hanging without response when
you correctly register an account. You can just click "Log In" in the
upper-right at this point and enter your username and password though.

There are two ways that you can submit a patch for review. The most
automated way is to install the RBTools package on Fedora or EPEL and
then use the 'post-review' binary. This will submit a review based on
changes compared to the most recent git branch point (i.e. all your
changes from master). If you pass the --guess-fields (or -g) option,
it will generate the web review description from the patch commit
descriptions. see 'post-review --help' or [1] for more ideas.

Otherwise, you can upload a diff directly to the web interface from
the "New Review Request" tab.

Some tips for reviews: you can drag-select a section of the diff on
the web interface to select it for comment. You also need to make sure
to click both "save" (which saves your current progress on this
review) and "publish" (which finalizes the review and makes it public
and sends email[2] to the subscribed watchers)

I'd like to suggest we give this a whirl and see how we feel about it.

[1] http://www.reviewboard.org/docs/manual/dev/users/tools/post-review/
[2] I haven't tested the email sending yet; it may be a little tricky
to get it to deliver properly because the OpenShift instance is hosted
in the Amazon cloud, which many email providers are blacklisting.