Patch review for OpenLMI

Radek Novacek rnovacek at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 09:47:25 UTC 2013

On Mon 11 of Mar 2013 15:35:51 Jan Safranek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we've talked on Friday about starting code review for all OpenLMI
> patches. Fedora 19 alpha freeze is here and it could be good milestone
> to start with reviews (or at least as good as any other milestone).
>
> I would prefer as light review process as possible, we're still in
> initial development where we code pretty quickly and I personally don't
> want to get slowed down by reviewing each patch character-by-character.
>
> @sgallahg, you mentioned some review tool, what was it and
> where/when/how can we use it?
>
> Jan

I personally prefer some web interface for reviewing patches. Advantages for
using some tool from my point of view (might not be applicable for all review
tools):
* one click for apply the patch
* inline comments (discussion is easier to read than in the mail thread,
especially with more parallel discussions)
* showing more context of the patch hunk is easier (just click vs applying to
local checkout)
* possibility to send notification about review to mailing list too

On the other hand, advantages for using mails:
* easy to submit for review via git-send-email
* acks are visible in mailing list (can review tools be configured to do it?)

Feel free to add more pros and cons for both approaches.

Radek Novacek