Cron Provider?

Russell Doty rdoty at redhat.com
Fri Mar 8 19:48:58 UTC 2013

> Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 15:36:13 +0100
> From: Tomáš Smetana <tsmetana at redhat.com>
> To: openlmi-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org
> Subject: Re: Cron Provider?

The underlying question is "do system admins using OpenLMI need to
submit jobs to run at a specific time, or to run repeatedly?" This looks
desirable, but I don't know how heavily it would be used.

> > > Starting with cron would also have the advantage of building the
> > > most portable code first; it would make sense to add the more
> > > version-specific options later.
Cron would be portable across older versions of Linux; the systemd
scheduler would only support newer versions.

> > While I agree with that in principal, I need to make the point that
> > I'm not sure we can build a CIM model for cron that will extend to the
> > systemd approach at all. They may ultimately need to be two separate
> > models, at which point we'll need to figure out how to manage the
> > transition (which is what OpenLMI is trying to avoid).
It would make sense to do two separate providers. This would also
simplify the model - one model for cron, one model for systemd
scheduler. I don't see a lot of value in closely following a DMTF model
here (unless it is already based on cron).