Favorite LMI Script?

Jan Synacek jsynacek at redhat.com
Thu Dec 12 09:54:18 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 07:47 PM, Russell Doty wrote:
> I'm working on a writeup of LMIShell and need an LMIShell Script to
> dissect as an example. Please nominate your favorite script:

My favorite script is... mine [1], of course:)

> * Does something interesting and useful.

Basically, it does something like 'ls' does, but the output is somewhat nicer (matter of taste, I know...).
It can also create and remove empty directories.
All of this is the basic functionality of the LogicalFile provider.

> * Good example of a SysAdmin friendly interface.

IMHO, it is.

> * Shows solid software engineering practices.

Sure, look at the compactness and simplicity of walk_cim_directory() :)

> * Uses low-level OpenLMI API calls to change a system.

Unfortunately, LogicalFile doesn't change anything (apart from creating/removing directories).

> * Bonus points if it is used in an LMI Command.

Yes.

> * Can be extended and modified.
> * Bonus points if we can suggest useful changes someone could write.

I'm not sure, since it probably already does all that the provider can do. It could probably display some other properties, but such change wouldn't be worth it. So I fail on these two points:)

> * Short and simple enough that I can explain it.

I think it is.

> Thanks,
> Russ

[1] https://github.com/openlmi/openlmi-scripts/blob/master/commands/logicalfile/lmi/scripts/logicalfile/logicalfile.py