NetworkManager hijacks LNST controlled interfaces

Radek Pazdera rpazdera at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 12:06:37 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 01:24 PM, Jan Tluka wrote:
> See some notes below ...
>
> Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 12:23:50PM CEST, rpazdera at redhat.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there's a problem I've been dealing with network manager running on
>> the slaves.
>>
>> Each time a new interface is hot-plugged to the machine, NM creates a
>> default
>> connection profile for it and executes it. It means, that it tries to
>> run dhclient
>> on that interface once in a while.
>>
>> That's a problem, because we configure interfaces on slaves
>> "manually" with ip
>> command. This configuration is flushed when by NM when it tries to
>> enforce the
>> "Auto eth5" default profile on the interface. There's not even a DHCP server
>> running in the environment I tested this in.
>>
> I'd get rid off NM completely. I think that the safest method is to
> disallow installation of NetworkManager package.

Disabling NM would probably save us a lot of trouble, that's for sure ...

In that case we could think about dropping the dynamic controller
interface completely. As far as I know beaker set's up a working
interface so it shouldn't be a problem. Even when machines are
installed manually, there's always one NAT'ed interface present
by default.

I'm going to do the virtual netdevices first. And then we'll see if
the virtualization of controller interface is really necessary or
useful at all.