NetworkManager hijacks LNST controlled interfaces

Jan Tluka jtluka at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 11:24:35 UTC 2012

See some notes below ...

Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 12:23:50PM CEST, rpazdera at redhat.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>there's a problem I've been dealing with network manager running on
>the slaves.
>
>Each time a new interface is hot-plugged to the machine, NM creates a
>default
>connection profile for it and executes it. It means, that it tries to
>run dhclient
>on that interface once in a while.
>
>That's a problem, because we configure interfaces on slaves
>"manually" with ip
>command. This configuration is flushed when by NM when it tries to
>enforce the
>"Auto eth5" default profile on the interface. There's not even a DHCP server
>running in the environment I tested this in.

I'd get rid off NM completely. I think that the safest method is to
disallow installation of NetworkManager package.

>The thing is, that we need to have the network-manager running,
>because it starts
>dhclient when the controller interface is plugged in. I don't know
>whether the
>standard networking scripts can do this too. And if they can, we need
>a way to
>turn NM off somehow anyway (which is hard, because we don't have
>shell at that
>time yet).

Could we utilize the post-installation scripts? See anaconda
documentation [1] for details.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#Chapter_5._Post-installation_Script

>NM has a D-Bus interface and a cli-wrapper around it called 'nmcli'.
>This utility
>is shipped along with the NM package. It can be used to exclude some
>interfaces
>from NM control by issuing
>
>    nmcli dev disconnect iface eth2
>
>command without necessity to restart the whole service (which is
>something we cannot
>do, since we're connected through ssh).
>
>Has this ever happened to you? It usually results a failure in the
>cleanup phase on
>
>    ip addr del ...
>
>command saying that it cannot clear the address (because NM already
>flushed it). Or
>do you have NM off on slaves?

Yes, completely off :-)