Koji content generators

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 22:30:35 UTC 2015

On 06/05/2015 06:13 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> For the Ceph project, we're very interested in building Debian
> packages on Red Hat's build system, so I've been kicking around the
> idea of a Koji buildDSCFromSCM task. When I mentioned this to one of
> the rel-eng guys in Red Hat, they mentioned that "content generators"
> might be able to handle our use-case in Ceph. This was the first time
> I'd heard of such a thing.
>
> In your Koji 2.0 planning thread you mentioned "content generators" as
> well. Can you provide more details about this?

More details coming soon, but here's the basics.

First off, content generators are not a 2.0-only feature. They will land
in 1.x before 2.0 ships.

A content generator is a system external to Koji that performs builds
and imports the results into Koji with robust metadata. Because it is an
external system, it can evolve separately.

 From Koji's perspective, the changes are mostly a matter of building
that robust import mechanism. There are some schema changes involved,
but nothing we can't manage in 1.x.

In 2.0, I see content generators becoming more central. Kojid will
likely use the new import calls and have it's own generator id.

Stopping here for now. More to come. :)