Update packages

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 13:32:23 UTC 2014

On 06/26/2014 08:00 PM, Randy Fitzgerald wrote:
> It matters not to me, since i cannot install the new update to
> Firewalld. I,am still using the one that was installed by default The
> old fashion system used by Linux to install updates, is only used by the
> old school linux users, who can unpack it to the proper directory?nobody
> can, and then install it. Yum never opens tar.gz or tar.bz
> <http://tar.bz> archives,returns a message and says (YUM nothing to do?)
> and if you cannot install an app,especially a Firewall daemon, what the
> hell is the sense of using it.like i said the update sytems are useless,
> and should be Auto installed,like Windows does it,with there install
> sheild, it is totally unusable by all Linux newbies, and mid level Linux
> users,as well. so we do not update, and cannot participate in any
> sharing of data to help fix any problems.I have said this over and over
> for years, and the same package update confusion still exists today. you
> should Standardize the package updating, and build auto installers,which
> put it in the correct Directory, and if any command line users want to
> install it themselves to another location, were they want it let them
> have the option at install, to bypass the auto install. Randy Fitzgerald

The tar archive is the source code. To use it you have to create a
package that fits your distribution.

For Fedora there are updates available. Fedora 19 has an update to
verson 0.3.9.1 and Fedora 20 has the update to 0.3.10.

It might be good to read this for basics about RPM packages:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package

If you want to have the latest version for an older Fedora version, then
get the latest src rpm from
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=11388 and
rebuild it with rpmbuild --rebuild <source rpm> . This will create
packages for your Fedora version and you can update with yum update
<package>

For other distributions you should have a look at their documentation...