Proper way to change zones?

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 13:20:26 UTC 2012

On 03/30/2012 10:50 PM, Patrick wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to make use of firewalld now that I am in F17, but
> documentation is slim :).
>
> I have created a zone xml file in /usr/local/lib/firewalld/zones/ and
> added some services to /usr/local/lib/firewalld/services/ . I have
> then linked them to the appropriate folders in /etc/firewalld.
>
> Even after reloading firewalld, it does not list my new zone when I
> issue the command firewall-cmd --get-zones. I have set my interface to
> use my new zone in the appropriate /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> file. Now when I issue firewall-cmd --get-zone-of-interface=eth0 I get
> no output, instead of "public," which was the zone it used to receive
> by default.
>
> If I issue "nmcli -f NAME,DEVICES,ZONE con status" it lists my new
> zone, so I guess that is something :).
>
> Am I doing this all wrong?! Thank you for any assistance,

Please have a look at /var/log/firewalld if there is an error about the
zone file you have added.

If there is an error about the zone, please post additionally to the
zone file.

If there is no error, please enable the debug mode of firewalld by
adding --debug at the line ExecStart line in
/usr/lib/systemd/system/firewalld.service:
   ExecStart=/usr/sbin/firewalld --nofork --debug

firewalld will then write additional debug log information to
/var/log/firewalld

There should be a message about the zone file in the log, now.