Removing bugzilla options login, assign etc (#67)

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 17:43:26 UTC 2012

On 07/08/2012 07:08 PM, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com
> <mailto:leamas.alec at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/04/2012 03:06 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
>
>         Quoting Alec Leamas (2012-07-04 14:48:45)
>
>             I have looked into the f-r functions to assign, comment
>             and loginĀ· From
>             my perspective, they seem "odd" and not really focused on
>             f-r's main
>             task. Furtjhermore, they clog the CLI interface and are
>             hard to test
>             requiring some kind of bugzilla test account with unclear
>             implications.
>
>             As stated in #67, the already existing dependency
>             python-bugzilla have a
>             bugzilla tool which can do all this (assign, comment etc)
>             and much, much
>             more. I find it reasonable to point users to this tool
>             rather than
>             keeping overlapping functionality in f-r.
>
>             Ergo: remove the function assign, login and comment from
>             f-r. However,
>             removing functionaltiy is not to be taken lightly. So: has
>             anyone strong
>             feelings about these functions, please speak up, either
>             here or in the
>             bug #67 :)
>
>             A feature branch 'rm-bugz' is in git repo for review.
>
>         Truth be told, I don't mind removing the code from f-r.
>         However...how
>         about we provide a wrapper for python-bugzilla? Just a simple
>         shell
>         script mind you (which would directly call "bugzilla"). This
>         way we
>         would still provide users with simplified way to assign
>         bugzilla and
>         perhaps do the approval part as well.
>
>         If anything, I'd like to keep the commandline options there
>         and when
>         invoked they should print out suggested workaround so people
>         who were
>         using them won't be (too) surprised.
>
>     This is not fair - I know you are going on holiday. Don't worry,
>     I''l wait until you're back to complete this discussion :)
>
>     With this said, one of the objectives is to get rid of the command
>     line options.  They are simply too many, and it's hard to read the
>     help page. One idea could be to have to old options 'assign',
>     'login' etc as invisible options, just spitting out some "use
>     bugzilla instead" text. And of course, the manpage could have some
>     transition text on this.
>
>     However, expanding the interface with the obvious 'approve' part
>     is going in the wrong direction IMHO.
>
>     Also, I'm not really fond of the wrapper idea. The complexity if
>     the CLI is not a technical problem, the python
>     code is not that hard.  The problem is the user interface, and a
>     wrapper doesn't change that. It's just more complicated  code.
>
>     BTW, my gut feeling is that this part is not that heavily used.
>     Might be wrong, but...
>
>     --alec

> [...]
Hi Tim!

Thanks for speaking up!

With this said: f-r has currently 15 options, and 47 lines of help. All
but three bz opts  are related to the same task:  to create a review
template. This makes the bz options sort of 'out of scope'. Also note
the testing problems for these, since they require a test account which
might not be easily distributed.

OTOH, if we should support the complete life cycle  there should not
just be 'assign', but also 'approve' and perhaps  also  'comment'.
Together with 'login' and 'user id' this makes up to five options, none
of which related to what I think most users perceive  as f-r's core task.

And there is this tool bugzilla, which actually is maintained sw which
does all this, although requiring more options even for simple cases
like 'assign'.

Current code (rm-bugz) branch contains some text written when --assign
et. al. are invoked. This must be the case for first release making this
move IMHO

Maybe we should provide another tool like 'fedora-bz' which provides a
complete life-cycle support (assign, deassign, approve, comment...)
implemented as a wrapper to the bugzilla tool. Thus we could give users
this complete functionality without expanding the  user interface and
complexity of f-r.

Would this be acceptable?

--alec

--aelc