Removing bugzilla options login, assign etc (#67)

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Mon Jul 9 06:00:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 07/08/2012 07:08 PM, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>
>   On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 07/04/2012 03:06 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
>>
>>> Quoting Alec Leamas (2012-07-04 14:48:45)

>>> Truth be told, I don't mind removing the code from f-r. However...how
>>> about we provide a wrapper for python-bugzilla? Just a simple shell
>>> script mind you (which would directly call "bugzilla"). This way we
>>> would still provide users with simplified way to assign bugzilla and
>>> perhaps do the approval part as well.
>>>
>>> If anything, I'd like to keep the commandline options there and when
>>> invoked they should print out suggested workaround so people who were
>>> using them won't be (too) surprised.
>>>
>>>  This is not fair - I know you are going on holiday. Don't worry, I''l
>> wait until you're back to complete this discussion :)
>>
>> With this said, one of the objectives is to get rid of the command line
>> options.  They are simply too many, and it's hard to read the help page.
>> One idea could be to have to old options 'assign', 'login' etc as invisible
>> options, just spitting out some "use bugzilla instead" text. And of course,
>> the manpage could have some transition text on this.
>>
>> However, expanding the interface with the obvious 'approve' part is going
>> in the wrong direction IMHO.
>>
>> Also, I'm not really fond of the wrapper idea. The complexity if the CLI
>> is not a technical problem, the python
>> code is not that hard.  The problem is the user interface, and a wrapper
>> doesn't change that. It's just more complicated  code.
>>
>> BTW, my gut feeling is that this part is not that heavily used. Might be
>> wrong, but...
>>
>> --alec

>  removing '--assign' would be very bad in IMO, it is a very useful
> functionality and very good related to a review tool
>
>  Tim
>
>  Hi Tim!
>
> Thanks for speaking up!
>
> With this said: f-r has currently 15 options, and 47 lines of help. All
> but three bz opts  are related to the same task:  to create a review
> template. This makes the bz options sort of 'out of scope'. Also note the
> testing problems for these, since they require a test account which might
> not be easily distributed.
>
> OTOH, if we should support the complete life cycle  there should not just
> be 'assign', but also 'approve' and perhaps  also  'comment'.  Together
> with 'login' and 'user id' this makes up to five options, none of which
> related to what I think most users perceive  as f-r's core task.
>
> And there is this tool bugzilla, which actually is maintained sw which
> does all this, although requiring more options even for simple cases like
> 'assign'.
>
> Current code (rm-bugz) branch contains some text written when --assign et.
> al. are invoked. This must be the case for first release making this move
> IMHO

> [...]
Splitting the bugzila functionality into a separate tool could be a way to
go, but telling  people to use the bugzilla tool from python bugzilla is
not, we what to help people doing review related tasks in a easy way not
hurt them :)

Another way could be using commands in fedora-review, like
fedora-review assign <bz report no> will assign the bugzilla report
fedora-review review <bz report no> will make the review
fedora-review upload <bz report no> will upload the repost to the bugzilla
report.

it will make it easier group the help and show only options there relates
to a give command.
and we can do stuff like

fedora-review help <command> to get help about a given command

And we could add a bash-completion profile to reduce the typing.

and it will make the tool work more like ex. the fed-pkg tool.

Tim