[copyleft-next] Section 4 and 7 - permissive license contenand development process

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Wed Feb 27 16:31:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:49:07AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 03:23:28PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > > I actually thought about something like this as a different way of
> > > doing section 7. But I haven't thought about it too concretely until
> > > reading your message. The problem with the kernel's version of the DCO
> > > is it's kind of verbose. :)
> >
> > And here I thought attorneys love verbiage. I can see good attorneys
> > prefer only just the amount of verbiage necessary ;)
>
> Well, if someone was interested in opening a discussion with the LF's
> lawyers about a proposal to reduce the DCO's verbosity, that would be
> great.  Personally, I don't think it's too verbose.

Indeed, it's quite compact especially when you compare it to certain
alternatives. I once created a modified version of the DCO for a
project that (IIRC) made it a little shorter by combining two of its
clauses into one. It might seem verbose if it were to be incorporated
wholesale into an otherwise relatively-small license document, though,
and I'm not sure how valuable that would be.

- RF