[copyleft-next] Section 4 and 7 - permissive license contenand development process

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Wed Feb 27 15:49:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 03:23:28PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > I actually thought about something like this as a different way of
> > doing section 7. But I haven't thought about it too concretely until
> > reading your message. The problem with the kernel's version of the DCO
> > is it's kind of verbose. :)
>
> And here I thought attorneys love verbiage. I can see good attorneys
> prefer only just the amount of verbiage necessary ;)

Well, if someone was interested in opening a discussion with the LF's
lawyers about a proposal to reduce the DCO's verbosity, that would be
great.  Personally, I don't think it's too verbose.  From a
developer's perspective, it's easy enough to understand, and it the
text is in a Documentation file where I rarely refer to it except when
I'm cutting and pasting it in an e-mail to a new contributor when I
need to explain to them why they need to add "Signed-off-by" (since I
want to make sure there was an adequate meeting of the minds such that
they understood what it meant when they added the magic
"Signed-off-by: " tag to their patch.)

					- Ted