[copyleft-next] [MERGE REQUEST] HBR should require the project stands up for software freedom of those who contribute to it

Engel Nyst engel.nyst at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 14:58:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Stephen Michael Kellat <skellat at fastmail.net
> wrote:

> Please do also disclose a summary of your sidebar discussion with
> Richard Fontana as well as Claes Wallin that appears to be happening on
> Identica and other federated StatusNet sites.  That appears to be
> germane to this merge request and yet not necessarily represented
> on-list.  This e-mail list remains our primary means of record
> communications relative to the project.
>
> I am minded at this point to ask that the folks who find the need to use
> GitHub please make themselves heard on list within our primary record of
> communications.  The mailing list has functioned quite well as a de
> facto issue tracker thus far and I do not enjoy the notion of having to
> chase down discussion across multiple fora.

Point taken. Completely unrelated to yesterday's issue, I have done this as
well. I apologize. I can think of a couple circumstances when my random use
of different sites (all three mentioned here) to provide feedback or
potential issues, might pose problems from the perspective of the normal
communication through the project's primary medium.

I believe many were unbaked comments or random ideas exchanges, due more to
lack of expertise (or arguably even attention), and not intended as actual
proposals. However, I have also submitted a couple issues, intended as
proposals for copyleft-next, on github, or as comment to existing github
issues. The first has been on github by mistake/inertia: I have initially
missed the project's policy, thus I have submitted a pull request on
github. I have immediately afterwards switched to gitorious, for subsequent
merge requests.

In general, personally I use github, as a matter of randomness and
convenience, however I do not support its use.

Re: github issues tracker.
To my knowledge, it doesn't allow directly backing up the issues database.
(though email notifications work). If this is still the case, I believe it
to be one more reason not to settle for it, not for anything of real
relevance to the project.

I apologize for not bringing issues of potential relevance to everyone's
attention on the mailing list. I will fix that.