[copyleft-next] [MERGE REQUEST] HBR should require the project stands up for software freedom of those who contribute to it

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Fri Feb 8 03:55:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:28:42PM -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> I apologize that my job at Conservancy and volunteer work at FSF has made it
> impossible for me to fit in volunteer work to help copyleft-next.  However, I
> find it quite disturbing that the project is returning to GitHub.

The project is not 'returning to GitHub' (I'm not even sure what that
would mean). Rather, a few people have recently been using GitHub to
make contributions.

> I've
> submitted this merge request to prevent the slippery slope toward proprietary
> solutions that copyleft-next appears to be on.  HBR should stand up for the
> software freedom of users.
>
> Please merge:
>
>   https://gitorious.org/copyleft-next/copyleft-next/merge_requests/29

I have rejected this merge request because it is outside the scope of
the HBR. That is not in itself a rejection of the policy position you
are advancing.

>From the moment Gitorious began to be used as the canonical public
source repository, it was understood that the GitHub mirror would
remain operative and even that continued use of the GitHub issue
tracker for the GitHub repository was tolerable pending the adoption
of some better option. Thus, I am just preserving the status quo.

I am thinking of ceasing use of Gitorious because I've had one too
many problems with the service. But the solution won't be substitution
of GitHub for Gitorious.

 - RF