[copyleft-next] Update 2012-09-08

Richard Fontana fontana at sharpeleven.org
Mon Sep 10 02:20:38 UTC 2012

On 09/08/2012 11:58 PM, Tom Marble wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 09:17 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
>> I removed the reference to the Open Source Definition in the
>> Proprietary-Relicensing section, because (to the extent I ever did) I
>> no longer consider the Open Source Definition to be a useful
>> definition of open source (a point I explained in my talk at LinuxCon).
>
> Presumably you are referring to...
> http://lcna2012.sched.org/event/55548175096c8c2912a6c6e87ff07551#.UEwTax-WthE
>
> Which was apparently paraphrased in the press, e.g.
> http://www.internetnews.com/blog/skerner/how-do-you-define-open-source-linuxcon.html

There was some possibility that an LWN.net journalist was going to
write something up on this talk, but I guess that is now unlikely. I
might write something for opensource.com on it in the near future, if
I have time.

> Do you know if there is an original video (audio) available
> from this event.  I'd ask for "slides", but, you know, slides
> really don't tell the story!

The celebrated Free as in Freedom oggcast might broadcast audio of
this talk sometime in October. I have put the slides up at
http://linuxcon2012-fontana.rhcloud.com/ (showoff on OpenShift)
but note that for some reason the slides containing quotes from
Bradley don't display the quotation marks. The slides are probably of
limited help without the audio.

 - RF