[copyleft-next] Use of Gitorious and GitHub

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Fri Nov 30 16:40:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:35:56AM -0500, Richard Fontana wrote:
> Would anyone besides Bradley object (weakly or strongly) to my using
> GitHub as the apparent one true public source code repository for
> copyleft-next? (I have been mirroring [that's probably not even the
> correct concept here] commits to the Gitorious repository in my GitHub
> copyleft-next repository ever since using Gitorious for
> copyleft-next.) Having used Gitorious for several months now, I have
> to say that I don't like it.
>
> I note that Bradley has already proposed some changes to copyleft-next
> by attaching patches to mailing list posts in addition to Gitorious
> merge requests. This seems to prove that someone who strongly objects
> to GitHub can still actively participate in this project, at least if
> I reverse my current practice and consistently mirror the GitHub
> repository in the existing Gitorious repository (or some other public
> git repository location that Bradley would not object to).

As long as the discussion happens on the mailing list (as opposed to
GitHub's pull request mechanism), I don't see why not.  Even though I
don't object to GitHub from a moral/ethical standpoint, I find the
splitting of conversation between GitHub's web based discussion system
and mailing lists to be annoying, at least given my workflow.  (i.e.,
I can download e-mail using a low-bandwidth cellular/wifi
connectionand reply off-line, which you can't do if you are using
GitHub's web based discussion interface).

(And Linus's comments about people who try to send him pull requests
via GitHub as opposed to sending patches on the mailing list is worth
reading if only because it's delivered in his usual inimitable style.  :-)

						- Ted