[copyleft-next] Numbering of first release

Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠) copyleft-next at clacke.user.lysator.liu.se
Wed Nov 21 17:08:47 UTC 2012

Den 21 nov 2012 10:10 skrev "Richard Fontana" <fontana at sharpeleven.org>:

> Should the first release of copyleft-next be designated with the
> version number 1.0, 0.1, 0.01, something else?
>
> I'm somewhat inclined to go with "0.01" (which still is suggestive of
> 'likely to see further improvement'). Incidentally, I am increasingly
> of the view that the version stability of (at least interesting) FLOSS
> (and free or quasi-free content) licenses is a flaw, and I am
> envisioning copyleft-next as a license that could rapidly evolve even
> when one only considers a series of official numbered releases.

Please do no use 0.01.

Regardless of issues such as the applicability and mapping of "stable API",
"added feature", "bug fix" etc to a license text, I do think that
http://semver.org/ summarizes well today's general expectations of a
version number.

In particular, points are not decimal points, they are separators between
non-negative integers, such that 0.10.0 > 0.2.0.

So, please do not use 0.01; 0.0.0 or 0.1.0 is better.

This is my strong opinion on the color of this particular wall of the bike
shed.

--
   /c