Trying to understand the package split

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 06:53:17 UTC 2015

On 15.11.2015 00:14, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it was great meeting some of you at systemd.conf last week!
>
> I looked a bit packaging cockpit for Debian and for that I had a look
> at the existing spec file.
>
> I understand why components like
> cockpit-{networkmanager,pcp,docker,kubernets} are subpackages.
> Those subsystems are not necessarily installed/used, so making it
> possible to uninstall the subpackages makes sense.
>
> What I don't understand is why cockpit, cockpit-ws, cockpit-bridge and
> cockpit-shell have been split up.

That's a good question:

 * cockpit: meta package containing recommended cockpit-xxxx deps for a
   given OS. This package contains no functionality.

 * cockpit-ws: The web service. Split out for two reasons.

   1. Can be removed on hosts that are not accessed with a web browser
      but still want cockpit to be usable on the host, by adding it
      to the dashboard of another machine.

   2. In the cockpit/ws privileged container, we only have cockpit-ws
      installed, and it logs in via SSH the actual host.

 * cockpit-bridge: Split out from the web service, see above.

 * cockpit-shell: noarch resources. Currently this *could* be combined
   with cockpit-bridge, but we have planned to make this optional in
   certain scenarios:

   https://trello.com/c/8GdYIBtF/119-milestone-cockpit-container

Hope that makes sense,

Stef