Trying to understand the package split

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 23:14:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

it was great meeting some of you at systemd.conf last week!

I looked a bit packaging cockpit for Debian and for that I had a look
at the existing spec file.

I understand why components like
cockpit-{networkmanager,pcp,docker,kubernets} are subpackages.
Those subsystems are not necessarily installed/used, so making it
possible to uninstall the subpackages makes sense.

What I don't understand is why cockpit, cockpit-ws, cockpit-bridge and
cockpit-shell have been split up.

Looks to me, as you will always need at least those four packages
installed to have some basic functionality.

Regards,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?