Travis failures and other CI solutions

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 07:03:41 UTC 2015

On 24.08.2015 08:54, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Peter <petervo at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> PROS:
>>
>> - It works and uses a newer OS (Ubuntu 14)
>> - Allows you to ssh into instances to run / debug tests.
>
> This is very, very nice.
>
>> CONS:

Obviously another big con is that this stuff is not Open Source. These
are proprietary services. But so is GitHub. But until we have more
resources, and/or an open source hosted CI service ... we'll probably
have to ignore this con.

>> - There is only one configuration per project that is configured via
>> their website. So you can't change the commands on a per branch / PR
>> basis.
>
> We could have a script in our sources that does all the work and
> configure semaphoreci to just run that script.  Would that work?
>
>> - We have to run on their container based beta platform as their normal
>> platform doesn't fully support inotify and causes tests to fail.
>
> This is weird.  How do they manage to not fully support inotify?  Is it
> a weird/broken filesystem?  Some absurdly low limits somewhere?

NFS.

>> - Doesn't do IRC notifications out of the box. Though we could probably
>> implement something using webhooks if we wanted to.
>
> Personally, I didn't find the notifications very useful.
>
>> What does everyone think about switching? Worth doing or should we
>> keep looking at other options?
>
> Right now the options are containers in either Semaphore or Travis,
> right?  (Which means we need to adjust the tests that need sudo, right?)

sudo can run in a container. It's just the Travis containers that don't
allow this. Presumably because it's easier to break out of a container
if you have root.

> And switching to containers in Travis might just make the weird "write
> error" bug disappear, I guess.

But more importantly the Travis containers have an ancient operating
system (from 2012) and can't be updated (due to no root access).

> But since you have done the work, and Semaphore has the "ssh" killer
> feature, I vote to switch to Semaphore.

Me too.

Stef