Travis failures and other CI solutions

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 06:54:23 UTC 2015

Peter <petervo at redhat.com> writes:

> PROS:
>
> - It works and uses a newer OS (Ubuntu 14)
> - Allows you to ssh into instances to run / debug tests.

This is very, very nice.

> CONS:
>
> - There is only one configuration per project that is configured via
> their website. So you can't change the commands on a per branch / PR
> basis.

We could have a script in our sources that does all the work and
configure semaphoreci to just run that script.  Would that work?

> - We have to run on their container based beta platform as their normal
> platform doesn't fully support inotify and causes tests to fail.

This is weird.  How do they manage to not fully support inotify?  Is it
a weird/broken filesystem?  Some absurdly low limits somewhere?

> - Doesn't do IRC notifications out of the box. Though we could probably
> implement something using webhooks if we wanted to.

Personally, I didn't find the notifications very useful.

> What does everyone think about switching? Worth doing or should we
> keep looking at other options?

Right now the options are containers in either Semaphore or Travis,
right?  (Which means we need to adjust the tests that need sudo, right?)

And switching to containers in Travis might just make the weird "write
error" bug disappear, I guess.

But since you have done the work, and Semaphore has the "ssh" killer
feature, I vote to switch to Semaphore.